Early Decisions

Most of our married life we planned to travel full-time in a 5th wheel during our retirement years.
In 2012 we actively began researching rigs. Back then we had a Honda 1800 VTX to take with us and we were looking at Toy Haulers. Sue couldn't see living comfortably in the small kitchen/living section and by summer of 2013 we were looking at an Excel with a Swivel Wheel trailer and a Ford 350. Length was a potential issue, weight limits on the Excel frame were a concern, and the cost made us step back and start considering a motorhome. Definitely a diesel pusher and what could hold the 900 lb. motorcycle on a Hydralift? Only five RVs had a 1500 lb. vertical weight limit on the back end (rather than just 1000) and a floor plan that we could truly see us comfortably living in for years.
We planned that Terry would retire from his Corporate Pilot career in 2016 when we could start tapping into the 401k funds. We couldn't afford one of the desired motorhomes brand new so we figured we needed to decide on what we liked in 2013 or 2014 and then hope that we could find it used in 2016.
August 14, 2013 word came down that the company was getting rid of one of the two jets but both pilots would stay with the company.
December 1st, Sue noticed a classified ad at irv2.com for a 2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD. Exactly the coach we liked and two years old. Definitely a price we could afford and we wondered what the price for a two year old unit would if we waited to buy for another two years.
Two days later, on Tuesday December 3rd, the other pilot at Terry's job was let go. We were shocked. Terry figured he would have his job at least thru 2014 but we figured we needed to be prepared for the worst. Sue contacted the seller of the 2011 Tour and it was everything we could ever hope for. Top of the line and loaded with every option. Terry, being the only pilot now, would have to fly the next week and the destination was VA. Coincidentally just a 7 hour rental car drive from the coach in SC. Friday, December 6 Sue bid on priceline.com and got a $200 tkt  OMA/IAD and back for Dec 9-13. Monday night we met up at IAD and Tuesday morning we drove south out of the beginnings of a snowstorm. We looked at the coach on Tuesday evening and again on Wednesday and then Wednesday night we agreed to buy the motorhome. We agreed with the seller to return to SC in May to drive the coach home and we planned to just vacation in the coach and pay for storage the rest of the time until we were ready to retire sometime in 2016.
Friday, February 21, 2014 Terry was shocked with the announcement of his employment termination set for April 1, 2014. All flights were cancelled and the company jet grounded. Terry's last flight was the previous week and he didn't even know it. The pilot of 37 years wouldn't have a "last flight" to savor. No last take off. No last landing. No last time talking to the control tower. No last time being flagged in and greeted by the crew at Duncan Aviation.
What we did have was a 5,000 sq. ft. house to empty and sell!
We sold our Hyundai Santa Fe and Veracruz and bought a manual transmission Hyundai Elantra GT that we could tow behind the motorhome.
April 16-17 we were in Sioux Falls, SD to register our car and motorcycle and get our SD Drivers Licenses and registered to vote.
May 13 we headed toward SC in our little hatchback. May 15 we drove our new home to the local campground and May 17 we began full-time living in our motorhome on our trip back to Lincoln.
June 28-29 was our Estate Sale.
October 8 we closed on our house in Lincoln.
Everything just fell into place. We know it was meant to be :)